Jnster: the story of an outdoors enthusiast in NYC and wherever he wanders...

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Bastille day in NYC

Today were the celebrations for Bastille day. Even though July 14th was on saturday and not sunday, there were two large street events planned. As I stayed at home for the 4th of July this year (it was raining and I could still not walk too much), I decided I had to go out at least for one National Day this year and see what these French gatherings were all about. Weather was great: typical NYC summer: 32C and humid.

The first one was on 60th st, around the French Institute. After my morning visit at the Whitney museum with Laetitia (a very well documented exhibition on the Psychedelia period of the late sixties), I was able to get there and meet my friends at the Brittany and Alsace promoting booths. I had a delicious buckwheat crepe for lunch, but did not ask them for a glass of prohibited cider (they did not have the license). (Un)fortunately, there was no choucroute.

I then proceeded to the alternative French street fair in Brooklyn, where they filled the streets with sand and people were playing Petanque. Instead of the bretons and alsatians, I was surrounded by people from Southern France, brandishing Olympique de Marseille T-shirts! It was as crowded as the 60th party, smaller in size but probably more authentic too. This is Brooklyn after all.

2 "parties" in one afternoon + a museum visit, and a bike ride in Central Park on saturday (thanks to Vincent): it's amazing how many things you can enjoy when you have a fully functional ankle. Yes, I am finally on the ultimate phase of recovery and my co-workers soon won't be able to call me the Crippled French Man.












Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • That's cool JN. Glad you got to go do something fun while you're recovering. Did you tell everyone about your new bionic ankle? Soon, you'll be able to just jump to the top of the mountain.

    By Blogger Don Nguyen, at 7/19/2007 4:02 PM  

  • haha your knee is 100% healed but my knee hasn't really felt like completing the healing process as of yet. although I'm still climbing, just nothing with crazy moves on my right knee and long approaches. But I'll be at JFK on Saturday if you want to climb the control tower ? ;)

    Glad our crazy Mongolian travellers are home safely, even if they did lose all their stuff. When are you coming back to visit ?!?

    By Blogger Jenn, at 8/04/2007 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home