Jnster: the story of an outdoors enthusiast in NYC and wherever he wanders...

Saturday, May 20, 2006

At last, a real update !

Ok, it is at last time to update my blog...

I am very late indeed this time. Maybe I should have put a disclaimer like Elise ("I won't be able to update my blog for all summer ;-)).

I am in the train to Metuchen, NJ and this is the first time I am writing something in the train. Am I a geek? Or just a modern person taking advantage of a laptop with a good battery life?

Anyway, I have quite a few events that I need to talk about.
First, as announced before, we had been quite busy during the week that Gael and Barbara were here. I'll post some of Gael's pictures to illustrate the time we spent together in NYC. We were a bit dephased at the beginning because we needed to recover from the rough nights we had with the cat, and in the meanwhile our parisian friends felt like going out at night and sleeping late. They defied the law of jet lag. But eventually we sync'ed our life rythms.

We walked a lot and I managed to find parts of Manhattan that I didn't know at all. Discovered new bars in the Lower East Side (there are so many, I'll never be able to visit even 10% of them!). In particular, yesterday I went to Pianos (www.pianosnyc.com) to see a concert by buddahead (www.buddaheadmusic.com), an alternative band whose bass player (Toby) I had met at the climbing gym. Very energetic music, short performance but very enjoyable. The musician seemed very happy to be on stage and they kind of transmitted their good vibes to the audience I think.

We also went to plenty of restaurants lately:
- 'A' with Elise, nice place with good food (hmmm yummy Creme Brulee, I didn't even remember it tasted like that)
- Todai (formerly Minado): the high quality huge Japanese buffet that spans between 31st and 32nd st @ 5th Avenue. It was my third time there, and I still enjoy it a lot!
- Eastanah: an Indonesian place in Soho! I had an unusual curry there. Between Malaysian and Thai flavors, I liked it! I think Gael was disapointed though.
- Of course our usual Indian and Malaysian "canteens", unexpensive and tasty!
- I don't remember the others!
























This morning, as part of my training (and also to run faster for usual, just for fun), I ran the Healthy Kidney race in Central Park. It is a distance I enjoy (10km), and I felt pretty good. My time was 45'30", ranked 842 out of 4500+. I think it's a good result, although I expected a lower time but, what can you do? I did my best. Maybe Central Park is too "mountainuous". I just learned that Seppo won't run the Quebec marathon this year, but the one in Montreal. So if I don't get accepted in the NYC Marathon lottery, my plan B will probably be Montreal instead.

All right, I think that's it for today. Stay tuned for the Heathy Kidney race pictures when I receive them and maybe a post about of futre climbing trip to New Hampshire (weather permitting).

Oh, last minute update, we're just back from a 5 star week end Chez Arnaud et Katia! They treated us like kings, as they felt guilty about their crazy cat. We visited Sandy Hook, had lobster (with a far away view of Manhattan) in Keyport, NJ, and had a day trip to the almost hippie towns of Lambertville, NJ and New Hope, PA, accross the Delaware river! I am very happy with this relaxing week end!
Elise will publish pictures on her blog. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

  • on a calculé ça fait à peu près du 13 km heure. pas mal! bon courage pour la suite

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/25/2006 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home