Jnster: the story of an outdoors enthusiast in NYC and wherever he wanders...

Monday, November 27, 2006

Last climb of the season

Yesterday was the last day of this looong thanksgiving weekend.
Jenny and Richard invited us for a traditional dinner! Delicious and very well organized!

Then, after my miserable failure at Best Buy on friday morning (I should have woken up at 3am, not 5am if I had really wanted to get that 19" LCD monitor!), we went to a great uptown jazz club on friday (the real Harlem experience at 149th st), I strolled thru Manhattan with Loris on saturday (Elise and Loris made pictures, I'll publish some soon if I keep a steady Internet connection at home).

On sunday, I went to the Gunks with Tom for what is probably the last climb of the year.
The days are so short at this time of year, it is really discouraging! At 2pm, light started to fade. At 3.30 it was almost dark and by 5pm it was pitch black!
We only had time to climb 2 double pitch climbs: I had half and Tom did the other half. Trad Leading is always an adventure itself. Even when the climb is relatively easy, it is nerve racking because you really want to avoid falling and need to keep focused on finding the right spots to place protection. Quite the opposite of indoor sport climbing in fact. Speaking of sport climbing, on wednesday, Richard and I went to Chelsea Piers for the first time ever to try the climbing wall. It is rather impressive, actually even higher than Mur Mur in Lyon, and has more challenging roofs I think (more long sections of horizontal climbing). The climbing was quite athletic and really killed my arms. I would like to try to go again, but the regular pass is an outrageous $50! I'll try to get more of these free tryout daily passes or guest passes.
Now, winter is coming, so for me it will off season for running and outdoor climbing...

At least I can still read books: I'm now in the middle of Over The Edge, the true story of 4 American climbers kidnapped by terrorists in Kyrgystan in 2000. This is a fascinating story, very well written in my opinion, and even more captivating for me since 2 of the climbers are Beth Rodden and Tommy Caldwell!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • Alors comme ça tu vas à des clubs de sports pour yuppies :) T'as pas essayé le golf, tant que tu y es ? (vue la photo c'est bien un golf)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/01/2006 6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home