Jnster: the story of an outdoors enthusiast in NYC and wherever he wanders...

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

How to become a better climber (episode 3: the phantom menace)

Stage 3: confirm that I can do long multi pitch ascensions, and bring Richard him, for his longest multi pitch ever.
Why the phantom menace? ;-) Because the storm was threatening us for a long time and we were evenrained on for 1 minute... And climbing on wet limestone is not the most pleasant experience from what I've been told.
Location: Le Sappey, Thones, France
Details of climb: 13 real pitches of limestome, averaging 5/5+ and up to 6a+
Comments: Very nice climb. I need to thank my mother and Max to take us there again :-) I climbed with Richard, and felt strong enough to lead 10 pitches I think (I have to be careful to remember to tell the real story ;-). I felt very good, we were all thrilled by the climb that was featuring beautiful cannelures again, and all styles of climbing. As (un)pleasant bonuses, the approach was 1 hour long, very steep and it was really hot and muggy. The descent, which itinerary is hard to find (It's a good thing we had Beatrice and Max as our guides), was impressive, on grassy paths overlooking the void, and then fun, sliding in rocky talus.







Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

  • Intensive climbing ! But I can't see you running much... Aren't you supposed to run a marathon soon ? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/03/2006 6:31 PM  

  • Hey don't worry, I am re-running now that I am back in Manhattan.

    But I had decided it was time to take a brak from running in France. With all the hiking and climbing, it was still a good form of endurance training.

    By Blogger Jn, at 8/03/2006 11:10 PM  

  • je t'attends l'année prochaine pour faire la Verte avec Richard...si vous êtes toujours d'accord pour grimper avec un retraité

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/05/2006 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home