Jnster: the story of an outdoors enthusiast in NYC and wherever he wanders...

Saturday, December 10, 2005

A badly needed update!

Hello World!

It has been a very very long time since my last update...
No real excuse, except I've been busy with visiting friends, family and work.

Since last update, my father came into town for a few days. It was his first visit to America ever, and I think he didn't regret it. We went together to The Top of the Rock, the newly reopened open roof at the Rockefeller Center. This is something I'd really recommend to New York visitors: it's much less crowded than the Emipre State Buildling, the view is as good, if not better (Central Park is so close and you don't feel lower than the Empire State Building) and it's the same price.
My father spent a lot of time in the numerous museums in the City (Met, Brooklyn Museum, Ellis Island, Cloisters, Frick Collection). I also made my first visit to the Met. I was dazzled by the vast amount of art pieces, especially from impresionists. The guides ay it takes 3 days to see everything, and we only spent 4-5 hours. There are even 3 different restaurants inside the museum!
We also showed him our favorite restaurants and discovered a Belgian Bar in the village called Vol De nuit, more or less hidden on W 4th st. A good address for real belgian beer. I was glad to see him and we had a great time, except when I had to do the usual "please fix my laptop" computer technician job that most parents ask their children to do nowadays...

Now all my direct family has visited New York! When are grandpa and grandma coming?


Oh, I forgot to mention the Thanksgiving dinner. Fortunately it was well documented by Elise. It was something very original for me, but probably classic by American standards. Turkey (but carved, not the whole beast ;)), stuffing, which is sauce made with the Turkey fat and some kind of bread, and different sauces + pumpkin pie. Really tasty, and well prepared by our host Jen with Elise's assistance! Thanks again for inviting us :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home