Jnster: the story of an outdoors enthusiast in NYC and wherever he wanders...

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

More involved

Hey, I've gained some experienced now, and am getting better integrated in the US. The proof is that I'm getting more involved in local activities.

First example was last saturday: instead of joining a hike with the Columbia Hiking Club, I volunteered as a leader. We went to Indian Head mountain, which is the only area unknown to the others that I could show them :-)
It's a great feeling, a bit like organizing hikes with Randos-Alpes, and the usual friendly people joined. Among those I was happy to see again: Ana, Antonis and Anton...
At the end of the day, we were back in New York early enough so that everyone could spend their evening as they wanted. The hike was fairly easy compared to last time in the snow... And this time we did enjoy the magnificient views. I will post pictures later...

Second example of my involvement in local events is that I decided to run the Central Park Half Marathon on August 28th. I'm not used to long distance running, so I have to train at least a little to be able to finish the race in decent conditions. It's going to be the first time I run this distance. I estimate it will take me 2h+. The hard thing is training: I went running twice so far, in Central Park, for about an hour. A full loop is 10km and with the round trip from home, must be around 12km...
And it's horribly exhausting... You can't imagine... This is harder than hiking, mountaineering, or climbing. After I come home, I can't do anything for the next... hours. I wonder how I'm gonna run 21km!
Well, the next objective is to actually run 21km this saturday or sunday. Please leave me comments to encourage me, I'll need virtual supporters! I don't even know why I want to suffer this much :-S Everybody is telling me I have a runner body, being skinny with thin legs. I can't even imagine running with a lumberjack body :-S.

Here are few pictures, this is how it's like to run in Central Park:






Anyway, if I can bear the distance this week end, I'll be able to stand the 6000 people running around me on Ausgust 28th. As I like crowd, this mass will hopefully push me forward...

Remember, the force is with you...

6 Comments:

  • On va bien penser à toi (en se dorant la pilule depuis les plages égyptiennes) pendant que tu seras en train de soufrir le martyre avec ton entrainement !
    Bon courage

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/10/2005 12:24 PM  

  • Bon courage

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/11/2005 6:35 AM  

  • cours, cours, petit scarabée
    A bientôt pour de nouveaux cocktails !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/2005 10:50 AM  

  • max dit que tu as un physique de kenyan et que ça ira tout seul
    bon courage

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/2005 3:58 PM  

  • "more involved" - ben d'ailleurs JN veut aussi dire Jeune Nouyorkais ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/19/2005 2:40 PM  

  • "we were back in New York early enough so that everyone could spend their evening as they wanted" - hum... t'as quand même pas perdu tes habitudes de retours de randos rapido !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/19/2005 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home